Tuesday 1 November 2011

Speed demon?

I love running, hence the existence of this blog, but what I can't quite seem to get my legs around (oo err) is running fast. It's not that I don't want to, I would love to be swift and agile, but I just can't seem to turbo charge my pace. I am a fantastic plodder and I can pound away for miles without too much effort, but up my pace and I turn an instant puce and want to puke.

I know that speed training is the key to improving my race times and to putting more power into my pace, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it. I tried out a new treadmill workout from Runners World, called the Speed Demon. On paper it looked quite straightforward - always good for a nervous treadmill user like me, but half way through I thought I was going to collapse.

I am not a quitter when it comes to working out so I sweated my way through to the end, but it was tough and I only picked a top speed of 12Kph, which I know to more seasoned runners is a walk in the park.

Thing is I am just not sure I was built for speed. Taking a look at nippier runners they are tiny and delicate, with nimble and lean limbs - the human equivalent of a thoroughbred horse, while I am more a Shetland pony, all shaggy hair, sturdy legs and obstinate temperament. Still at least Shetlands are tough and hardwearing, so while I may never break any records for speed I hope that my sturdy thighs will be better at learning to carry me the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment